Sunday, March 08, 2009

Heli Expo & NVG Trg
















I finally had the chance to attend Heli Expo and I was sick as a dog but damn it, I just had to go. 

I managed to see a lot of great technology that is up and coming into the mainstream. There are things like infrared displays and portable HUDs that we need to prepare for. As I work on drafting the regulations for imaging technology I feel like like I'm running after a runaway train but I am confident that we will catch up 

There were so many great machines to see, my favourites were the new EC175 and the A119de. 

You gotta love machines with this much power to weight ratio. 

I also tried to catch up to Chopper Chick whose blog I really enjoy but there was no way to keep up to this girl, no dust gathering here. 

I left the relative warmth of Anaheim for my simulator training in Portage La Prairie in Manitoba Canada where it got down to -37 celcius (nearly the same as -40F). We used the new B412CF simulator run by Allied Wings. This consortium which includes Flight Safety and Canadian Helicopters Ltd runs a great facility. While their prime customer is the Canadian military flight training program, they offer their services to industry. 

Currently this is the only helicopter sim available to industry in Canada and the only one NVG capable. I was able to do some great refresher and have other inspectors experience NVG flight for the first time. It was great flying and it almost made up for the freezing weather. 

Now it's back to the office but I do have some more NVG flights booked and I am due for my annual check ride so it won't be just the cubicle. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home